Here are some of the cycling-related posts on this site, plus links to a few of my favourite external pages about cycling.
On this site:
- Remembering Iohan
Iohan Gueorguiev, aka The Bike Wanderer, was the most adventurous cyclist I’ve had the pleasure to have known. Tragically, he faced one set of challenges that he could not get through.
- Healthy, peaceful and more equitable – life in the low-car city
A review of Curbing Traffic, by Melissa Bruntlett and Chris Bruntlett.
- Celebrating the cargo bike revolution
A review of the inspirational feature-length documentary Motherload.
- Bicycling on the Polar Sea
Only 30 years late! My blog post on a ride on the ice highway from Inuvik to Tuktoyaktuk in Canada’s Western Arctic, April 1989.
- A modest investment with major dividends: cycling culture in the Netherlands
A review of Building the Cycling City: The Dutch Blueprint for Urban Vitality
- When good is not enough – extending the bicycle’s reach in The Netherlands
A symbiosis with trains, and the popularity of electric-assist bikes, are helping to increase the use of bikes for longer commutes
- A tale of three cities: cycling in Valencia, Paris and London
Early measures to promote cycling in these cities show problems and potential
- First principles for sustainable and equitable transportation
A review of Beyond Mobility
- 3 cheers for A2Bism
A review of Copenhagenize
- An enthusiastic embrace of a mysterious planet
A review of Lands of Lost Borders
- Taking the Lane
‘Vehicular cycling’ and the Slow Bicycling movement
- Why I love the Slow Bicycling movement
The 19th century gave us one of the great advances in transportation history, the modern bicycle. Alas, the twentieth century gave us the speedometer.
- Taking back the streets: the role of design in “bicycle urbanism”
A symposium with Mikael Colville-Anderson, CEO of Copenhagenize Design Co.
- Where the rubber hits the road: biking in all seasons
Highlights from the fifth annual Winter Cycling Congress
- Over The Hill
A bike ride from Glacier National Park in Montana to Kelowna, BC
- Getting past the 401
Bowmanville has great recreational trails within the town and along the waterfront – but the 401 lies between.
- Pedalling to the end of the night
A summer’s bike ride from Vancouver to Inuvik, 1988
- Canada Day on the Klondike
A father-&-son ride in the Yukon Territory, 2008
- An uphill ride through Oklahoma
Springtime on the backroads in the Ouachita Mountains, 1987
- Slabs of granite, and other bicycle cargo
Shopping on bike works fine, if you don’t shop for anything bigger than a sidewalk. A video from 2010.
- My fifteen minutes of fame
In 1990 the Yellowknife-based magazine Up Here certified me as “bonkers”. It’s been all downhill from there.
Other cycling links:
- The full text of Ivan Illich’s pioneering 1973 work Energy & Equity, which explains why high-speed transportation never lives up to its promise.
The per capita wattage that is critical for social well-being lies within an order of magnitude which is far above the horsepower known to four-fifths of humanity and far below the power commanded by any Volkswagen driver. – Ivan Illich
- Collected works of Sheldon Brown
A virtual encyclopedia of bicycling tech info, compiled by the late, lamented Sheldon Brown.
- Momemtum Mag
A great online magazine for self-propelled people.
- Bike Wanderer
The youtube channel of traveller Iohan Gueorguiev. May he rest in peace.
- Collected works of Sheldon Brown